Event

mnemoawari, by Eli Joteva, was simply amazing. At first glance, it made me feel something - which I feel like all art should do. I was very perplexed upon first walking in. It was almost as if I wasn’t supposed to walk at a normal pace or as loudly as one would; I felt a certain level of quietness was needed, and I was right. Because everyone around was a little more quiet, I think the effect of the art was much more profound. And what an effect it was. 

I’ll be the first to admit that I had to have much of the art explained to me, but once Eli did explain the meaning behind the work, I was so incredibly moved. In the middle section of the exhibition, there were sphere of ice (cryo sculptures), attached to a rope hanging from the ceiling. Below the spheres were copper like “bowls” to catch the melted water that eventually would fall from the ice sphere. The spheres enveloped different natural materials, such as leaves, twigs, flowers, and other organic materials, so when the ice melted the materials would fall into the bowl, sometimes leaving the water with a redish dye hue. 

I found Eli’s art to be amazing, and was curious about the inspiration behind the exhibition. When I asked her, she began explaining that she’s always been a little hesitant to use inorganic materials and would much rather use materials that are natural. Attending the exhibition on the third day, I was able to see the ice melting a relatively good amount. Eli also touched on the fact that it takes a lot of energy to make something that soon after disappears. That really struck a chord with me, and made me dwell on the fact that the earth makes things for us that eventually goes back into the earth. The fact I could physically see the ice melting and hear the droplets hitting the bowl that was below, really added to the effect the parallels for me. 


I thought it was super interesting to see the parallels between the art that she debuted and the relation to the actual earth, our home. Eli was describing it as how the earth was melting and how her art was a direct representation of it. I really enjoyed when she was describing the melting as a release of energy, and how there’s a quickness to it. How quickly the ice melts - how quickly the earth is deteriorating. 


My favorite part of what she said, however, was when she touched on chaos. She was showing to the people that attended that the ice sphere showed chaos and how eventually it all melts. She said something along of the lines of, “Chaos is needed for new life to form and for stability to ensue.” I thought that this was so incredibly powerful. I didn’t realize all that much in the beginning of the exhibition, but I was amazed to see the parallels, and what she said about chaos really resonated with me on a deeper level. 




Joteva, Eli. "Eli Joteva - mnemoawari." Joteva. N.p., n.d. 14 May 2017 

Comments

Popular Posts